Follow by Email

Montag, 12. Januar 2015

Holiday reads

Time flies, doesn't it? It seems very fitting that I feel like a time traveller myself when I try to remember when I first clapped eyes on Diana Gabaldons first book of her epic Outlander series. It must have been sometimes during the mid-1990ies, when I used to work as a bookseller.
So 20 (in words: twenty!!!) years later I've just finished the most recent installment "Written in my own heart's blood", the eighth in the bestselling series.

So 1100 pages later I have to applaud Gabaldons skill again, she still manages to captivate me with her stories of eternal love through the times. 


Sod e-books for cover pictures - here's two of her earlier ones.


If you haven't read any of the first novels you have to start immediately with the first one: Outlander. "The year is 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon - when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach - an 'outlander' in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord ... 1743." (Copied shamelessly from the blurb of my ancient paperback).
http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/chronology-of-the-outlander-series/



Another christmas read is the second novel by Tanja Frei, Das Whispern der Nacht, is not yet available in English. Every bit as gripping as her first book, I certainly enjoyed reading more about Jenna Winters and her adventures as the Guardian.




Santa Montefiore, Secrets of the Lighthouse

Over the years I have read several of Montefiores sagas and didn't have to think twice about buying her latest one. Situated in Ireland it tells a mystic story about love and death.
http://www.santamontefiore.co.uk/books/secrets-of-the-lighthouse.php


Danielle Hawkins, Dinner at Rose's

Always keen to read books set in New Zealand, I loved this charming story about Jo. After finding her fiancee in flagrante with another woman, she returns to her small home town in rural NZ, finds a job as a physiotherapist,  looks after her sick aunt and runs into her former boyfriend...

https://www.facebook.com/DanielleHawkinsAuthor

Keine Kommentare: