Follow by Email

Sonntag, 10. Juli 2016

Wonky Heidi on Green Island

When I booked it, the Green Island Trip seemed like a good idea, a great compromise on the whole Great Barrier Reef dilemma. Because that`s what you do, when you come to Cairns, you go to see the GBR.
For me ist was just a waste of good dollars. I should have known as I`m neither a good sailor nor a beach person but there you go.



The tour package consisted of the 45 minute cruise to/from the island, snorkeling gear or a 25-minute Glass-bottom-boat trip and use of the islands miniscule pool.
I had chosen the boat trip not knowing that once I got of that bloody catamaran I wouldn`t be able to face another trip unless I had to (for like getting of that Island again).



So I made my way to the beach, hired a sun lounger and parasol and was instantly bored. I got out my maganzine and book only to realize that my waterbottle had leaked and probably destroyed my mobile (it is currently sitting in a tub of rice, deciding if it will come back to life). My camera seems to be fine and thankfully I had decided against bringing the iPad to the beach.




I spent about 3 hours on the beach, watching Chinese tourists struggling into wet full-body swim suits, gearing up for snorkeling and watching the waves.

Then I walked around the island in 25 leisurely minutes, decided against visiting Cassius, the largest crocodile in captivity, bought myself some ice cream and sat around waiting to board the vessel back.




The second catamaran was much smaller and the only free seat left was on deck. Lucky for me as it turned out. I didn`t feel half as sick as on the way over, even though the crossing was much choppier.
Must have been the fresh air.




Nevertheless I was overwhelmed with gratitude to be back on dry land. I felt stupid all day long for booking that trip, instead I should have made the most of it. As Susan Sarandon said: Embrace mistakes  - mistakes are where you learn everything!



PS: I only realized, that I sketched the guy in that picture while waiting to board the boat that morning.


1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

embrace the mistakes, a good idea, that´s because my arms are so tired, :),
good luck, mum